Where you go, I will go; where you live, I will live. Your people will be my people for your God is my God.

Monday, April 18, 2011

Pollo de Coca Cola

My suegrIMG_0356a is a great lady.  And is known for her cooking abilities. She is one of those people that you cannot leave her house without at least eating *something*.  I like that.  I have learned much from her since I first met her, and especially over the past couple of months. 

Some of her recipes, while made the way they should be made, are a *bit* too unique for this American girl’s taste.  There have been a couple of interesting concoctions that have left me with raised eyebrows and hesitation to say yes to whatever I’m being offered.

For example, the other day I was at her house. We had been invited for lunch.    I  was on the computer (her house=my internet source), and in she walks with a giant bottle of Coca Cola.  We rarely have cokes at our house, so this was a treat indeed.  Mexican coke has more sugar too, which makes it all that much better.  On a hot afternoon, nothing refreshes quite like a coke. 

But instead of offering me a glass like she normally would, she opened the thing up and poured it into the pot where the chicken was cooking.  She then threw in some onions.  Up my eyebrows went.  She saw me, and knowing my eyebrow look, she smiled and explained that she had been wanting something sweet.  I smiled back.  

A little while later we were all around the table, with the chicken as the center piece.  I [hesitantly] took a piece.  It was marvelous! Towards the end of the meal, I was scrapping the bowl for the sauce to eat on a tortilla.  I mean seriously, d.e.l.i.c.i.o.u.s.

So good in fact, that I asked for a couple more details about the part I had not seen, and made it myself today.  It was simple, and turned out great.  More bowl scrapping occurred.  I mentioned to Rafa that it will probably become one of my “go-to” recipes when I do not know what else to do, or when I am short on time.   He whole heartily concurred.  Pollo de Coca Cola is here to stay. 

6 comments:

  1. Sooo...what's the recipe?! I just bought Coke today. :)
    Love from Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Their coke is DEFINITELY better and sweeter! I think it's because it's made with cane sugar and not the stuff they put in ours. Would you believe this die hard coke girl hasn't had a coke since last October!! I know! I'm amazed, too ;) I gave it up for good.. still crave it ALL the time, though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I remember having this recipe but I didn't know the sauce was coke until after I ate it....it went something like 'great sauce, how did you make it" (I always ask cause I wanna duplicate it) then the reply (which I was not too sure about) 'coke'. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recipe:
    Cleaned skinned chicken pretty much any way you like it. My suegra had wings, thighs, and legs. I cut up chicken breast into bit sized pieces.
    Let chicken simmer on low in it's own juice with a little salt and pepper added.
    Add coke to cover chicken. (Not sure how much, maybe two cups or just a can full) Add cut up or sliced onions. As my suegra says, however much you would like. One onion, two, or a half.
    Cook on high heat until coke makes like a sticky sauce.

    We made tacos out out ours. (Imagine that!) But I also think it would be great as a stir fry.

    If you try it, let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also if you google "Coca Cola" chicken, it comes up with lots of different versions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good, Kathleen. We may have to give it a go too. Anything involving chicken, onions and coca-cola can't go too far wrong in my book! :-)

    ReplyDelete