Where you go, I will go; where you live, I will live. Your people will be my people for your God is my God.

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Christmas-The Plan

There are 91 days till Christmas.  3 months from today it will be Christmas Eve.  That’s still a quarter of a year. 

I love making plans for the sake of making plans.  This year my thoughts have turned to Christmas earlier than normal.  But not because I plan on doing anything spectacular, quite the contrary.  This Christmas, Lord willing, we will see it all through the eyes of two little ones.  Job will be a year and a half, and we will have a newborn little girl.  Things will not be fancy, but having those two here will have us singing, “What a wonderful world!” 

Establishing family traditions, some old and some new, is important to us.  Besides that, the Christmas season is plain fun and the birth of our Savior worth celebrating to the fullest. 

But as said before, we will have a 19-month-old and a newborn. Things need to stay simple.  Very simple.   So a few weeks ago, I took a calendar and mapped out some Christmas activities for December. 

Each week will have one activity from the following categories- Movie. Making. Baking

-----Mondays will be Movie day.  On the list are Elf, Charlie Brown, Frosty, and Rudolf. 

----- Thursdays are for Making.  Starting with a day to put our home’s decorations and moving on to paper snowflakes and oranges with cloves. 

----- Saturdays will be for Baking (to be able to share with extended family over the weekend) We have English Toffee, Oreo Truffles, and Peppermint Sugar Cookies on the list.

I have a short list of things to buy for the above activities.  These items will be purchased in the next few weeks, before a little girl makes her arrival. 

Thanks to other commitments (work for Rafa and naps for the wee lass)  I think most of these activities will be carried out by Job and myself.   But with having a new little sibling around and the world changing that can do to a little boy, I think some one-on-one special time will be just what we both need. 

We will also continue our tradition of reading through the advent calendar daily.  Traditionally, Job and I (since he was in the womb) read out loud in English in the morning and then in the afternoon, we read the same passage as a family after the main meal, but in Spanish. 

So there you have it.  I’m “putting this out there” to have another level of accountability.  I mean how embarrassing will it be, to have to admit come January, that we did nothing of the above, after I published it on the blog for the world to see?!  In all seriousness, I plan to be prepared to make lots of sweet memories, but if we make it to January and have only “survived” with smiles on our faces and joy in our hearts, I’ll be okay with that too…even if it means no oreo truffles! 

1 comment:

  1. This is fun! We have a lot of family coming and going in November and December, so I too am trying to be very purposeful about my plans and expectations...making this a really special holiday season with our toddler, yet not sacrificing the Important Things "on the altar of coziness". :) Looking forward to comparing happy notes with you! Love from Texas.

    ReplyDelete